Antique Chair - Looking for information, possibly for sale

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I inhereted this antique chair...? I have an old photograph showing it in a house in New York City in the 1870's or so...? I would like to know where it was made and the value. (and any other info you may have!)? I am also entertaining offers...

Attachments

• antiquechair.jpg
    antiquechair.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 854
S

SASQUASH

The one thing that I do know is that it is good to have old pic's of the item. Makes it more desirable. Nice chair. It should not be to hard to find some one to repair it. SASQUATCH <><

S

steveezryder

That is a very nice chair. Do you know anything about the history of it like who owned it or what house it was in in the 1870's if you can document who has owned it and it lineage it increases the value. my guess is it was done by a highly skilled craftsmen and you might be able to find out who that was by following its history. Also do not get it repaired yet as that could decrease the value if it is an important piece. good luck in finding out would love to know what you find out.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Marc
Dont know if you still own this chair. I was looking in some of my older antique books today and see several like pieces made in NY around 1850

John H Belter Co 1855 NY

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
One of the main designers and builders in the rococo style was the New York cabinetmaker John Henry Belter who trained in Germany where he learned the technique of lamination. He glued together as many as sixteen very thin strips of rosewood and oak to make a surface strong enough to withstand the elaborate pierced carvings that were his hallmark. His chairs and sofas were surrounded by a halo of carved, flowing vines, leaves, flowers and fruit.

While Belter?s work represented the top of the scale in rococo furniture, quite lower scale, inexpensive versions were being produced in factories all over the country with shallow machine carvings and clumsy lines.

http://www.furnituredetective.com/toc.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread