Very important question about Old apple tree gang painting and value?

"Golf In America Reproductions From The Original Series Of Historical Watercolors By Lealand R Gustavson. Francis D. Ouimet Wins United States Open Title - 1913 The unknown twenty year old amatuer, firing the 'golf shots heard around the world' defeats the British immortals Harry Vardon (left) and Ted Ray (with pipe) in the dramatic play-off at The Country Club, Brookline, Mass. Ouimet is accompanied by his ten year old caddy." from amazon listing says it all. I also think it's a reproduction they want them to look real, brush-strokes, canvas,they are the kind you'd see at a golf course or hotel; also they wouldn't add the copyright to an original, they're trying to protect their print. Also originals were watercolor right?

I also read that artists were encouraged to to put a copyright on their originals to remind people to not infringe on what they own!

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

I also do not believe that gustavson owned the copyright for his pieces. He painted these for the sports company the copyright is under. They were originally made for book illustrations on a book called important moments in the history of golf. Under law if you are working for a company when creating your work the company legally owns the copyright.

Ok well best of luck, you have the opinions of some people here. I think when people give you advice like what they have they're trying to save you paying for an appraisal but if you think its real go for it. I stand by my theory on the copyright issue I have never seen one added to an original, dating a picture and copyrighting are totally different obviously, it would decrease value if they did and if hes dead at the time its less likely he put a copyright on there. It seems obv its the printing company. Why take an original and try to make it look like a print. I hope I'm wrong and its worth lots, good luck.

Thankyou but I would have an appraiser of professional look at it first and tell me if its worth having it appraised! Even the prints go for a couple hundred dollars anyway!

Hey Kathy,

I, too, think it is a reproduction. Printed canvas, brought to you by "Palm Valley Arts Exclusive." This company put out golfing memorabilia, such as the "Golf Icons" series. Though the link is broken to the "painting," have a look over here: ..: May 14, 2008

"This framed print called "Temper" by A. B. Frost is one of twelve in the Golf Icons series from Palm Valley Arts Exclusive. Based on a painting, the image is printed on canvas and mounted in a wooden frame.

The big label on the back says:.."

This is commercial "art" marketed to golfers, golf clubs, etc. Fine art does not come with printed copyright information. Leland Gustavson was primarily an illustrator who worked for many publications of his day.

lealand_guvatson_summary.jpg
Leland Gustavson
You can read more about him here: Catalog
Gustavson-sign2.jpg

Hey Koolaidsmile .... rather than argue back and forth with everyone on authenticity , take it to a art expert and have it appraised and then you can either stick it to them (if your right) or value their opinions the next time around ... know what I mean ? IMHO , Woodstock

And Koolaidsmile , it seems that you know enough about it being original, so are you willing to put it up for auction as one ? Cause if your not then have the real people who know more about it check it out ... you have great backups to your opinions and so do the other members, so now the ball is in your court , time to play the game ... Woodstock

Hey Koolaidsmile .... rather than argue back and forth with everyone on authenticity , take it to a art expert and have it appraised and then you can either stick it to them (if your right) or value their opinions the next time around ... know what I mean ? IMHO , Woodstock

The bottom line is Woodstock I wanted people's opinion and in no way,shape or form did I ever argue with anyone! I was merely pointing out the reasons why I thought it might be real and I expected people to tell me why they did or did not think it was! If I am wrong about something I want someone to point something out I may be wrong about! You can take words on a screen in any attitude you would like but in no way was I having an attitude with anyone! But it does say a lot about how you took the words I wrote compared to everyone else! Maybe you should lighten up a bit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back