Military Item?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks - I found this piece on a location in NC yesterday. VERY historic property - house dates to 1790 and was the home of a Continental Army officer and later to several Confederate soldiers. The place also saw quite a few yankee soldiers pass over the property as POW's. Anyway, I was rather disappointed (and surprised) I didn't find much of interest, especially when the owner said he knows it has not been hunted since the early 90's. Before that, not sure. In addition to two ax heads (my specialty), I did find this piece. It's broken and despite a hard search, I could not find any part but this. Appears to be military . . . there was also a prep school near this spot that dated to the mid 19th century. Any help would be appreciated on identifying this item.

Attachments

• IMG_4021 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4021 (640x480).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4022 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_4022 (640x480).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
It looks like pot metal to me Richard. Is it? HH, Quindy.

Revealing my ignorance, I don't know Quindy. I know what pot metal is, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine if this is or not. You're thinking someting modern?

BTW - it was fairly deep - about 8". (The T2 sniffed it out of the same hole it shared with two large square nails!)

Richard, I really don't know when pot metal was first made but I have never found anything pot metal older than the 1950s. Maybe someone can give us some info. HH, Q.

Richard, I'm sorry that you didn't find more buddy but you you never know what's waiting out there on the next trip out!

Richard, I'm sorry that you didn't find more buddy but you you never know what's waiting out there on the next trip out!

You're right about that Josh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back