Laws on metal detecting/t-hunting

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i live in Crossville Tn,and i do know you can "NOT" hunt in any state park in the State of Tn,not even on the beach! you "CAN" hunt on TVA lake beach's but you must get a pic id permit from the state,its free and good for 2 years.they do a background check and issue you a pic like a drivers lic.i cant speek of Fed land because i never looked into it. for some reason most places down here are off limmits! there is a big MD club in Nashville,google them and they can answer any questions you have. DD

OP
OP
carajou

carajou

Jan 9, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
Part of the area I'm interested in is within a state forest, while the bulk of the area is not. I plan on taking a day off during the summer to search for it, and would welcome any help.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
maybe you can get permission from surrounding land owners?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although metal detecting itself is not prohibited, digging and removal of artifacts is a felony. Damaging plants and vegetation is a misdemeanor. Soooo.....ya got what ya get.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
OK everyone, I need ya'lls help here...
I am new to detecting in my area now and have not done it as a hobby since I was
stationed in Oahu, HI on the beaches there I managed to get out a little.

My issue right now, is I retired from the Army here in Clarksville, TN 2 yrs ago, now
I would like to pick up the hobby again, as I know it can be fun, and healthy.

I emailed my city (clarksville, TN) park & recreation offices, asking if there were any city muni-code(s) disallowing use of metal detectors in the city parks. I got an email back saying that no hobby detecting is allowed at any of them, at all.

I responded with I want to know what specific written law they are using to make that determination to disallow hobby metal detector enthusiast's in the public, city/county parks.

Is there any other Clarksville, TN folks on here that can also email these guys?

Here is there email address: [email protected]

Their website is: http://www.cityofclarksville.com/parks&rec/entireparks.asp

Here is a copy & paste of the emails:

_________________________________________________ __________________________
Can you please tell me what code this is covered in?

Your City park websites show only one park that specifically mentions no metal detecting, the others do not mention it at all. I would like to see the actual code/law disallowing this hobby in our local public parks, thanks.

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, July 13, 2007 16:21
Subject: RE: Question please
>
>
>
> Thank you for your inquiry, but unfortunately, metal detecting in any
> city park is prohibited.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
>
> Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 2:33 PM
> To: Parks & Rec
> Subject: Question please
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I am writing to inquire about whether or not there is any written
> ordinance/code pertaining to the "Hobby" use of metal detectors
> within
> our public city & county parks.
>
> Understanding that State historical parks are protected under federal
> statutes, I was wondering which, if any local public parks in our area
> prohibit "Hobby" metal detecting.
>
> Of course', any detecting accomplished would be done with the
> strictest Metal Detectors Code of Ethics.
>
>
>
>
> Thank You

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The National Antiquities Act prohibits MDing on any federal land. It is against the law to remove anything made by the hand of man that is over 100 years old. Arrowheads and Minie balls are allowable if eyeballed. Most states have adopted the national law. Some states, like Alabama and Georgia carry this even futher. In Ga it is an offense to medal detect anywhere, even private land, without written permission from the owner and the permission must be on your person. Georgia has been enforcing this law. Alabama was, or maybe still are, trying to make medal detecting off limits for even your own land. They claim rights to anything over 100 years old. TVA has claimed rights to anything in the water for the major rivers so water hunting can be dangerous.

bigalathenstn

Mar 20, 2007
carajou said:
Part of the area I'm interested in is within a state forest, while the bulk of the area is not. I plan on taking a day off during the summer to search for it, and would welcome any help.

state or national forest land is a big no no they do not allow it

mrdetector

Greenie
Jun 13, 2013
TENN
Detector(s) used
whites GT-Whites SurfMaster 11- field scope by Thomas Colorado gold sticks-crazy rod by J D Moore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
metal detecting tn

i live in Crossville Tn,and i do know you can "NOT" hunt in any state park in the State of Tn,not even on the beach! you "CAN" hunt on TVA lake beach's but you must get a pic id permit from the state,its free and good for 2 years.they do a background check and issue you a pic like a drivers lic.i cant speek of Fed land because i never looked into it. for some reason most places down here are off limmits! there is a big MD club in Nashville,google them and they can answer any questions you have. DD

they have a club in knoxville tn s.m.a.r.t they meet once a month call toms detectors.:gold-bracelet:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TVA now bans all metal detecting on their property and "their" water. They no longer issue any permits. Don't get caught as they have taken detectors in the past for detecting on a drawndown lakebed. They publically claim this ban is to stop the "theft" of abandoned indian relics like arrowheads and such. Apparantly TN Indians had metal arrowheads or something when the europeans arrived according to TVA goobermint officials.

Also, fwiw, I attended a SMARTS meeting in Knoxville once and all they did was biatch and argue about the rules for their monthly contests. Seems faction A wants to win all those juicy $5 monthly prizes and faction B (the gall of those guys!) want to win the same major prizes. All they did was try to rig the contest in their favor. Also, post on their board if you get a chance. I've seen one guy (I believe he is a club officer) badger a new person until they left. According to one of the other club officers via PM, that individual likes to imbibe and takes to the keyboard thereafter.

OP, NEVER ask permission of a goobermint entity. Ask (in person preferably) "is there any city ordnance prohibiting metal detecting on city property". if they say yes, make them cite the law so you can confirm. I have shown up at the local police dept a handful of times and have never been told that I cant detect. I usually get some comment like "if you find something really good, I get half". Cops are friendly if you approach them like that ime.

State Parks: only with permission of a local park ranger (ask, some will allow it)
Federal: no as others have said
County: I've never heard of a 'private act' (laws that counties enact) prohibiting it
City: almost always no law against it
private property: up to the landowner

Welcome to Tennessee, Enjoy your hunts, and THANK YOU for your service.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread