I know nothing about stone tools. Can someone ID this for me?

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I lurk on the MD'ing boards. I don't know anything about stone tools, points, etc. I found this while walking down a seasonal creek in the Ozarks (south central Missouri). It looks like it is broken on the "butt" end. Can this piece be id'd? If so, anyone who can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Doug

tool001.jpg

tool002.jpg

tool003.jpg

tool004.jpg

Upvote 0
Its made of burlington chert, and it looks like a flint celt.

Turtlefoot - There appears to be use wear on both sides of the bit. Use wear comes from running it through dirt or wood. I believe you have the bit end of an agricultural tool (hoe). They are common on Mississippian sites, but can be older. If you find some other pieces on the same site post them as well and the group here could then venture a better guess on age. Nice find.

Half of a flint hoe/celt.....

Thank you Twitch. I am not sure when I will make it back out to the site. Deer season is starting and most of the hunters don't like me walking around in the woods. I will make it out there and see if I can find anything else at all.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Doug

turtlefoot13 said:
Thank you Twitch. I am not sure when I will make it back out to the site. Deer season is starting and most of the hunters don't like me walking around in the woods. I will make it out there and see if I can find anything else at all.

Once again, I appreciate your help.

Doug

Nice find wear some orange this time of year if you go back. Our hunting pretty much shuts down here till after deer season but cranks back in Febuary.
Nice eye ball find Metal detectorist!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back