Is it legal to detect on Bank Foreclosed properties?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm here sitting at the airport...bored and came up with the idea that I could maybe find stuff detecting on vacant bank foreclosed properties. Good idea or bad idea? Is it legal? Would I get in trouble? Anyone have feedback on this please post.

Upvote 0
This is only my opinion but I think bank foreclosures are safe if you go say on a Saturday or Sunday morning. In quick, out quick. I only hit one with my brother...his recommendation, and never had a problem. How's a bank gonna police all of their repos? Besides, if no posted signs, all you will likely face is being informed that you need to leave. jm2c.

Yes your probably Right that the Bank probably will never know,
But these days of Nosey paranoid Neighbors, if you are next door to
someone who is frightened by shadows, Or a very close friend of the
person who lost their home, there is the possibility of a visit by the police.

the other posibility the person who was kicked out may have come back for a little Pay-back
to the bank, and damage to the property could be blamed on you till
time of damage can be proven.

Just saying things may not just be black & white

& yes I've done it also, But the place was owned by close friends,
before the Bank took it, & it was at the perfect spot to know
it didn't matter. The Home was a trailer, sitting on property
in a ghost village,
that the bank couldn't lay claim to.

Last edited:
Ya i agree with Jeff ya even if its not posted its still owned & if theres a neighbor home they get curious ti a stranger they dont know out so close to there home they dont know u or what ur doin might get frightened Ive had the police called on me befor. One mornin close to my home theres a old dirt road between 2, homes, so i walked down there usually im with my 3, year old son its just a place i go when I dont wanna go far test out new machines basically its my whatever place. Anyways it was a early saturday morning so i walked down started detecting I did notice corner of my eye pretty far away a person out side on there porch looking at me, I didnt care I wasnt doin anythin wrong 20 minutes later im diggin a plug look up cop to my left another to my right walking up another I had 4 total cops the Lady said I was making her nervous she didnt know what I was doin, obviosly cops saw what I was doin didnt care asked if found anything cool that was it a 20 minute conversation never less I still go back cops know i go there but goes to show u can b called on anywhere anytime

Funny this comes up as I just went through this a couple days ago... My honey hole that has produced a lot of good finds for me recently is a turn of the century house a friend has up for sale while he lives in his new place. I pretty much hunted his place out and as I was I notice that no one was ever home next door (similar house, similar era) and I was kind of thinking I could ask him who lived there and get permission, well it turns out he did know who lived there and she was foreclosed on. Well that got me to thinking no worries for me then and I went there a few days ago incognito like to try it out. There I was for 10 minutes when the bank maintenance guy shows up to re-roof the shed in the backyard where I was at... I thought "ok here we go I'm going to get the police called on me" (by the way the chief of police lives across the street). After a good conversation with the maintenance guy who just so happens to have "always been interested in metal detecting" and a little class on MDing he says he lives next door to the bank owner and he thinks he wouldn't care if I was there or not... good enough for me, I MD for a couple of hours and scrammed... I don't think I'll be back... I think I pushed my luck as far as I want to at that place, I don't trust the whole "he wouldn't care less" from the maintenance guy.

Yeah, that's a lie and you know it. Post to any news article or police report of an unarmed person being shot for tresspassing without going to jail for murder / attempted homicide. You've been listening to too many tales about the "hillbillies" in SE OK.

Scoff at it all you want, i grew up in the country and know of several incidents first-hand, The depression era grandparents particularly were very paranoid and protective. As for your arrogance and calling people liars just because you are ignorant to seeing it happen, well, keep trespassing on properties in the country and maybe you will get the proof you desire. As for news articles or a police report, google it yourself and find a multitude of reports.

Scoff at it all you want, i grew up in the country and know of several incidents first-hand, The depression era grandparents particularly were very paranoid and protective. As for your arrogance and calling people liars just because you are ignorant to seeing it happen, well, keep trespassing on properties in the country and maybe you will get the proof you desire. As for news articles or a police report, google it yourself and find a multitude of reports.

I stand by my statement. You said that in Oklahoma it happens all the time. THAT is a lie and YOU know it. It doesn't happen all the time, it would be a complete rarity if it happened. Why do you immediately call me a trespasser because your argument is false? That's just the poorest of debate tactics and you know it.

I stand by my statement. You said that in Oklahoma it happens all the time. THAT is a lie and YOU know it. It doesn't happen all the time, it would be a complete rarity if it happened. Why do you immediately call me a trespasser because your argument is false? That's just the poorest of debate tactics and you know it.

Again the arrogance you show by automatically calling people liars is astounding. Maybe you could use some of your vast knowledge to work on your reading comprehension since my original statement said "fairly common" and never said "happen all the time". I don't know what world you live in but we are not in a debate here, there is merely a difference of opinions from my life experiences vs your life experiences. If you believe that things like that are a complete rarity because there are no newspaper articles about it then well that is your hangup and clearly shows you can't relate to country living. However there is no need to derail the OP's thread so our opinions are both out there and let it lay where it is and afford others to post on his topic, hopefully with more useful information rather than petty banter. My thoughts were said in my original post and that is that, i will not post on this thread further.

End the insults now please before a mod has to get involved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Easy answer. Try to gain permission for your hunts. It makes a better hunt.

.... It makes a better hunt.

But this assumes the person got the go-ahead to hunt, to begin with. If he got a "no" (by the nameless faceless bank in another state), then .....he wasn't even hunting, to have the "better hunt", to begin with.

But this assumes the person got the go-ahead to hunt, to begin with. If he got a "no" (by the nameless faceless bank in another state), then .....he wasn't even hunting, to have the "better hunt", to begin with.

Tom
Easy answer. Try to gain permission for your hunts. It makes a better hunt.

Key word here "Try". I am a Realtor dealing with the banks many times.The Realtor has the listing to sale the property. Either the bank or homeowner owns it. Very simple . Joe Schmoo calling the bank will get NO where unless you know the "person" at the bank that is facilitating the sale. Even then doubtful because people are scared of what they do not know..Personally I do not mess with bank listings ... I cannot give permission as an agent as I do not hold those rights other than what my listing agreement states. BUT many times the agent on the sign will say yes if contacted correctly and you get lucky. It has happened for me several times

The best opportunities come when and as soon as the owner list the property and you can contact him because at that point most do not care as long as you do not destroy the lawn.They just want to go to closing. This is just my humble opinion from experience. I have detected many historic homes that even had cannons and plaques in the yard but were private property with 4-sale in the yard by other Agency's.

All you can do is ask and it never hurts to call the numbers on the 4-sale sign. Why give illegal and immoral advice. You either have permission or good chance you are trespassing on private property.

Look for new listings in historical areas and get in with the realtor once you get one try to use him as a reference for the next.

Good luck
HH

Jason you should know by now calling someone a Liar is against the rules here.
under certain circumstances, when done with Tact,
It may be acceptable to disagree and say you don't believe this,
or that you disagree, But please don't make such harsh Judgements of members posts.

Hopefully telling you this will end you doing it again ?

Last edited:
the house Beside me was Foreclosed. The bank Hired a Maintenance person
to keep the Grass mowed, I simply struck up a friendly conversation with him & within
minutes got a "I don't care, Go for it " :laughing7:

Just remember Banks have Board members & meetings & insurance,
and all types of Paranoid people that think their profit may drop a %
if you sue them over a twisted ankle,
which would put them all on the streets living in cardboard boxes :tongue3:

so Expect a No from most of, if not all the Banks.
on the other hand a Hired grounds keeper
is probably just happy for the quick conversation
before getting back to work :thumbsup:

Of course another plan, even if not advertised, Find foreclosed places not being maintained.
Hire yourself out to mow them,
Then help yourself to detecting spots :icon_thumright: after all Your being paid to be there,
and just cleaning up the scrap :icon_thumleft: just remember in this case, silence about
detecting is golden.
& Nobody said you had to mow the grass & scram.

please be carefull, the permission you got from from a hired maintenance company not the bank! there for if any bank property person happens buy to check the properties and they really do that! you may have a problem. They all take pictures, and also take photos of cars on the property's etc...

best to go right to the bank source. In truth, they will very likely say no! Reasons are veried, but mainly deal with insurance issues and damage control of the property. If no permission, do not dig, the Banks can aford the lawyers, you can not! Be carefull.

I saw an ad on Craigslist about mowing foreclosed property's,so I called them up and asked them about the details,basically I go over there & and mow the property & take a picture and email it to them.They never said anything about NOT metal detecting in the yard while I'm there:dontknow:

Paint your detector green and slap a "Weedeater" sticker on the side ;-) This is actually a great way to gain access to properties, if you have the time to do so. That way when some nosy neighbor does call the police on you, you have a legit reason for being there, and may even have a contract or paperwork from the Bank stating so. You could also state that you were removing nails or other metal objects from the lawn while you were mowing and upkeeping the property.

Copper theft and vandalism are an epidemic on foreclosed or unoccupied homes for sale right now. I spent the last few months house shopping, and visited several places that had been destroyed by copper thieves. So neighbors or nearby people do have a good reason to report a random person hanging around a vacant property.

Come to the Dark Side with me davinci.....

dv.jpg

Ha, I use my Zillow app to locate all the forclosed homes in my area. Shady or not, it's a lot of fun.

Yeah, that's a lie and you know it. Post to any news article or police report of an unarmed person being shot for tresspassing without going to jail for murder / attempted homicide. You've been listening to too many tales about the "hillbillies" in SE OK.

. I've never been shot at, but when I was in the country southwest of Wellington I had a guy answer the door w a shotgun... And when I was a teenager, we partied at this dead end road w a pond on it....the guy got tired of beer cans everywhere apparently...he posted no trespassing signs...we payed them no mind... Next weekend we were partying there again....and we hear "you little b@st@rds get off my property *boom*chick*chit* -the next one will be in your asses"....needless to say, I never went back... But, I can agree, I don't think shots get fired without GOOD provocation...and continued disobeying of property owners wishes

-beav3r

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back