A future U.S. tourist asks for advice

belax

Jan 8, 2020
Far East
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.
I am 37 years old and live in Russia. I am a fan of Metal Detecting. This is a hobby and not an every day job.

I want to come to U.S. as a tourist (for a mounth) with my own PI metal detector for gold prospecting purposes. All of this has a “status of dream” yet.

Here in Russia this activity is under law restrictions (prohibited for private persons).

I consider Arizona -places where you do not need a permit (According to Land Matters Arizona Mining Claims).
I have chosen Arizona mostly because of brown bear absence.

Before I need to clarify few moments. In particular:

1. Is it legal for an alien (tourist with tourist visa) to do a gold prospecting with metal detector in USA in general and in Arizona in particular?
2. Is it legal for a tourist to cash-out nuggets? What is a reliable company to do it?
3. Is it a “must have” to be a member of a Club or Mining Association, like LDMA? Can you do prospecting without it?
4. What places would you recommend to start with Gold Prospecting in Arizona?
5. Is Arizona a good place for a first time tourist?

I think this is enough to start with.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I understand, only US citizens or those with intent to become such are allowed to prospect on Public lands BUT you would be fine if you have permission to detect on private property or someone else’s claim (this could be a claim owned by a club or individual). I’m not sure but maybe also a state area designated for “recreational prospecting” would be open to you as well. Other than the citizenship issue, no permit or membership is required to metal detect public land open to prospecting.

I don’t metal detect, nor have I been to Arizona, but that’s what I can tell you.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Belax, coming as a tourist to metal detect for gold nuggets is an exciting proposition, but unless you get someone to put you on to a promising area, you have quite a small chance of finding gold with a detector.

Finding nuggets is a lot of hard work, and unless you're lucky enough to get someone that will take you to an X-marks-the-spot location, the odds are stacked against you.

If you only want the opportunity to hunt for nuggets, and only have a tiny hope of actually finding them, that may be a far better mindset to have. Moreover, if you really only want to experience the hunt and the adventure, then you can't lose as you'll always have the memories of the adventure.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello.
I am 37 years old and live in Russia. I am a fan of Metal Detecting. This is a hobby and not an every day job.

I want to come to U.S. as a tourist (for a mounth) with my own PI metal detector for gold prospecting purposes. All of this has a “status of dream” yet.

Here in Russia this activity is under law restrictions (prohibited for private persons).

I consider Arizona -places where you do not need a permit (According to Land Matters Arizona Mining Claims).
I have chosen Arizona mostly because of brown bear absence.

Before I need to clarify few moments. In particular:

1. Is it legal for an alien (tourist with tourist visa) to do a gold prospecting with metal detector in USA in general and in Arizona in particular?
2. Is it legal for a tourist to cash-out nuggets? What is a reliable company to do it?
3. Is it a “must have” to be a member of a Club or Mining Association, like LDMA? Can you do prospecting without it?

I think this is enough to start with.

Thank you in advance.

Yes

Yes. There are several local businesses in areas with gold

There is "Open" land, but without a local guide you won't find it.

Weaver & Bradshaw Mountains - Rich Hill, Lynx Creek

Absolutely.

A professional guide costs about $300.00- $375.00 a day

OP
OP
B

belax

Jan 8, 2020
Far East
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Lanny and Terry for your detailed explanation.

Lanny you are absolutely correct in your statements.
Only in TV shows it looks easy.
Finding nuggets without intimate knowledge of an area is the same as playing lottery.
I am driven more by adventures and only then by thoughts of finding 10-Oz-nugget. The only thing I do not eager to meet is a brown bear. Cannot fell asleep in a tent when they are nearby.

Terry - your answers gave me a green light to dig further. I think it was a right decision of me to start asking with legal-illegal questions.

Also I have read german tourist (named Horst) thread – which inspired optimism.

Thank you all. I will keep exploring further.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing I do not eager to meet is a brown bear.

Pretty unlikely you'll run across any Brown bear unless you end up in Canada, Alaska. Grizzly in Idaho, or Montana. Most other areas like Az. only black bear..... Make lots of noise and they won't bother you.

Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
hire a guide. that will give you your best chance at gold, and they can supply you with a high end detector so you wont have to buy something you cant take home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread