GTI 1500...Not getting depth any greater than 4"...

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500|| Garret ACE 250 (Daughter) || Sunray YF-1 Invader Inline Probe|| Garrett Head Phones|| 2008 Rat Head Phones||
GTI 1500...Not getting depth any greater than 4"...

Hi!

I don't think I'm getting anything deeper than 4-5". Looking for some suggestions. I think my daughters ACE250 goes deeper. This detedtor every couple hours will squeal non-stop and I need to disconnect the coil, power down, power up, then plug everything back in. Any suggestions for settings. Willing to try anything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: GTI 1500...Not getting depth any greater than 4"...

I still have my 1500 and it does go a little deeper than 6 inches. Cause you haven't found anything deeper than 4 inches doesn't mean there is anything deeper. However you do have a detector problem that needs to be sent back for servicve.

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)

Hi tlz,
I also think your 1500 needs some repair, as Sandman said...once I saw the same with a 2500..

Sandman said:
I still have my 1500 and it does go a little deeper than 6 inches.

Hey Sandman,

Does a 1500 just go at little deeper than 6? Not more? I thought it could compare with Tesoro DeLeon or Cortes that are referred goin 10" or more...

Melv

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is hard to state for a fact that X detector goes as deep as +12 inches as there are to many variables as to type ground, size coil, etc. I have pulled some coins out of dry beach sand at near a foot, but again the coin could have fallen deeper from the side of the hole. The only accurate method of determining depth of a target is with a metal probe to measure how deep it really is. Then that takes practice to know you aren't measuring the depth to a rock above or below the target.

This is where a test garden comes into play.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500|| Garret ACE 250 (Daughter) || Sunray YF-1 Invader Inline Probe|| Garrett Head Phones|| 2008 Rat Head Phones||

Sandman said:
This is where a test garden comes into play.

Thanks for your input. I've come to the conclusion on depth based on a test garden. That's what really has me concerned. :icon_scratch: I'm giving it one more chance on a hunt this weekend. Then I'll call Garrett I suppose. Not real happy about this considering it's a month old detector.

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500

have you tried to reset it by holding the power button in for a few seconds till you hear a double beep?

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used

kwdstalker said:
have you tried to reset it by holding the power button in for a few seconds till you hear a double beep?

Yes, I usually need to do that when the detector goes into it's 'squeeling' phase. Also, need to pull the coil off.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

tlzkaasen said:
Hi!

I don't think I'm getting anything deeper than 4-5". Looking for some suggestions. I think my daughters ACE250 goes deeper. This detedtor every couple hours will squeal non-stop and I need to disconnect the coil, power down, power up, then plug everything back in. Any suggestions for settings. Willing to try anything.
Ithink you are right about your ACE 250 i had a 250 and a GTI 1500 and in my garden the Ace went deeper than the 1500 sold the 1500.....................Jim

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005

What are you running your sensitivity at. If you have it high bump it down to about 6 or 6.5 and try it. Otherwise you may have a bum coil. Contact Melinda at Garrett.
[email protected]

Bill

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i have a 2500 and it is definitely not the deepest machine on the block, although i do get better than 4". perhaps it needs a tune up.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used

hollowpointred said:
i have a 2500 and it is definitely not the deepest machine on the block, although i do get better than 4". perhaps it needs a tune up.

Yesterday was a disaster in the field. It officially just squeels..no way to reset it at this point. Destined for Garrett's service now. :( >:(

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

tlzkaasen said:
hollowpointred said:

Yesterday was a disaster in the field. It officially just squeels..no way to reset it at this point. Destined for Garrett's service now. :( >:(

yeah something screwy going on. mine never just squeels. Garrett will get it sorted out.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

tlzkaasen said:
hollowpointred said:

Yes a couple of years my 1500 did that i had to send it to garrett they put a new something in it and sent it back it worked then loss depth sent it back it loss depth got it back it was ok loss depth again got rid of it..==Jim==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Uncle Willy said:
What are you running your sensitivity at. If you have it high bump it down to about 6 or 6.5 and try it. Otherwise you may have a bum coil. Contact Melinda at Garrett.
[email protected]

Bill
I tried all sensitivity settings on it and every thing else it's not like i am new to this game been at it for over 30 years........................................==Jim==

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used

Keppy said:
Uncle Willy said:
[email protected]

Bill
I tried all sensitivity settings on it and every thing else it's not like i am new to this game been at it for over 30 years........................................==Jim==

Kind of makes me think I should just sell it and buy something else in that price range/Machine Range. This thing has me really bummed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I sent mine back 3 times before i got rid of it that was about total $45.00 shipping . The first time it just went crazy no matter were you set it all it would do was scream & make noise after it was fixed it would lose depth all the time sent it back twice for that then had to get rid of it....did not trust it anymore.....==Jim==

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used

Keppy said:
I sent mine back 3 times before i got rid of it that was about total $45.00 shipping . The first time it just went crazy no matter were you set it all it would do was scream & make noise after it was fixed it would lose depth all the time sent it back twice for that then had to get rid of it....did not trust it anymore.....==Jim==

We'll see how it works when it gets back. I just don't know what to get if this one bombs. I suppose I'll join the minelab ranks if this doesn't work out.

OP
OP
tlzkaasen

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used

1500 en-route to Garrett via UPS on 9/9. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread