Do You Remember.?

Re: Do You Remember..........?

Anyone mention Crusader Rabbit or Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog? How about Felix and his bag of tricks? Used to get those strips of paper with drops of candy stuck on them. Sure we ate as much paper as candy. Think you can still get those. You know you could start a fire with the magnifying glass you got in your Cracker Jack? Then your buddy could respond to the fire blowing on the siren whistle he got in his. Any old Wisconsinites remember Colonel Caboose? He visited an orphanage I was in in Green Bay one time. Remember orphanages? They used to have newspapers delivered to the Muller-Potter Drug Store in stacks. The store wouldn't be open yet so people would grab a paper off the stack and leave the money on the pile. Remember when model cars came with 2 engines and tons of decals? Sugar Daddy's were big and so were the ice cream drumsticks. Could make a quarter shoveling a sidewalk and you could build a snowman without getting a permit. Got free matches and suckers at the Clark station along with the green stamps and you could get a set of dishes for free, one piece at a time. All the cool guys had their collars up and suicide knobs on the steering wheel. Clarabelle the Clown never spoke on the Howdy-Doody Show until the last show. Then he said "Goodbye kids". Had some Red Ryder gloves with the gauntlets and tassles. Shot real 22's at the fair. Now they use midnight specials and the place is full of drunks. Girls had "Home-ec" in school. Actually had square dancing for gym class. No one wanted to dosey-do with the girl that had psoriasis. I always wished I could be Elvis, now he wishes he was me. Anyone remember the black, round kerosene pots they would use to warn motorists at construction sites? You can start a fire with those also. Cops used to actually walk the streets. Seemed like the milkman brought it early so it would be frozen by the time you got it off the porch. Did anyone actually weigh the coal they poured into the basement so they didn't get ripped off? We helped the farmers by buying all those dried peas for our pea shooters. Root beer barrel candy travels farther than Boston Baked Beans at the movies. I used to put rubbers on my feet. Hanging on to the bumper of a slow moving car after it snows can break your arm. Wolfman Jack was the only adult that made any sense. Cherry bombs flushed down a toilet can get attention in the theater also. You could reach up the cup dispenser on the Coke machine and pull the cups out until you got the one that was marked for free admission next time you came. Stuffing the matches you got from the Clark station into a spent CO2 cartridge can be either a rocket or a bomb. Lassie.......come home.

Yes, DOT CANDY....todays dot candy isnt real sugar....no where near as good as it use to be...the rootbeer candy barrels...loved them....not to keen with wisconsinites and such...been in virginia all my life...we'd sit up and listen to the whipporwills at night, we'd sit outside our bedroom window on the roof and sneak smoke while we'd watch fireworks from town on the 4 th of july...we use to roll our own cigs too with my dad's chew tabacco...not to smart of an idea but hey we were kids...going barefoot so much you could walk on asphalt that was steaming hot...Boy, those were the days....

Yep, we'd buy Bugler tobacco and make butts with the cigarette rolling machine. Also made cigs out of cornsilk and comic book paper. Held them together with medical adhesive tape. Used to make a bunch and give them to the National Guard guys when they went past the house. We thought they were going to war, not camping.

What about those balls on a string that you'ld clack back and forth , then get them going real fast and they'd sound like a machine gun .

I never tied a june bug on a string ,but I did do it to dragonflies .

Didn't " Mikey '' die from mixing Poprocks and Coke ?

Life cereal MIKEY? he was cute, He likes it, Hey Mikey!!!! OH yes the sweet paddle ball...wasnt very good at it...use to hit me in the head...but it was fun trying it...We use to have a shopping buggy that we took the basket off of and it made a cool looking little car, we'd take it to the highest hill in the field and push it til it would take off...it was awesome flying down the hill...only one problem though....no steering wheel...TALK ABOUT FREE FALLIN....Have you ever used a regular old shovel for a sled...on ice...or snow...what fun

Weekly Reader....wow........they had so much info.........I loved them....

I had to revisit this thread. It makes me all teary eyed. LOL All I wanna do right now is curl up in my bean bag chair, turn on the black light and watch re-runs of "Laugh-In." ;D

Shame on all of you, everyone here forgot about Hogan's Heros! :D "I know Nuttzing!"~~~~Colonel Klink

land of the lost...hardy boys.....hollywood squares...love boat..the plane the plane....soupy sails love american style......Hot dogs apple pies and chevrolet......HR Puff-n-stuff.....bubble wands.....pixie stix as long as your arm ,converse high top tennis shoes....bib overhauls...betty boop

Maverick said:
Shame on all of you, everyone here forgot about Hogan's Heros! :D "I know Nuttzing!"~~~~Colonel Klink

"I know nutting" I believe was Sgt Shultz. Great show!

HH 8) surfrat

Well whatever mine remember will definately have something to do with money...Shopping Malls and getting nails done...buying C.D's, My allowance was 50 cent to 1.00 every week...that was it...then as i grew it grew...but we use to make that dollar go along ways...there were no shopping malls...we grocery shopped once a week...and anything bought between was definately a treat...new clothes,shoes...we would get fall winter clothes when school started and summer clothes when school ended...xmas we got clothes,maybe shoes,dad would draw our footprint on a piece of card board and then mom would go to the shoe store and buy our shoes...we never had choices like kids do today....

gawd yeah,Those were them days!!!! I loved growing up in Virginia....Rappahannock County....one of the richest counties now...it made itself because of the serenity...old history...mountains excellant views (my God they were just hills when I grew up,nothing special) now thats what people look at and say WOW...It accepts little change...you wont go there and thinl your gonna build a sh** house unless it approved by the WHOLE county and then some...still a great place to chill.......

Sunset Strip...Get Smart...Hawaii 5 0...Gidget...Listening to old 45's...Not being able to wear shorts to school...

My favorite was Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo). He finally passed January 2004. Remember Mr. Green Jeans, Dancing Bear, Mr. Moose, Mr. Bunny Rabbit?

Bob Keeshan was also Clarabell the clown on Howdy Doody..
And YUP I remember the Bowery Boys.. Particularly the one where they killed off 'Whitey'

Space Patrol and Capt. Video, were my fav. t.v shows back in the early 50's and the Buck Rogers space ship looked so much like the mothball fumigator attachment for my mothers vacuum cleaner it was weird! I remember my father fold the paper several times, till only the section he wanted would show, then he would read me the current "Uncle Wiggly" story..

AND, if I still had all the stacks of comic books we used to trade back and forth, in the 50's, I would be a millionare! I think that the reason a lot of kids can't read today, comic books are to friggin expensive..

I tried to recapture a little bit of my childhood recently. I purchased a Big Trak on Ebay ("Where all your old crap comes back to haunt you!") I had one, with trailer (Transporter) as a kid. I was devastated when the keypad stopped working. I wound up stripping the motors out for a science project in 5th grade.
I saw one on Ebay, realized how much I had loved that toy, and paid nearly $70 for one, with Transporter.
UPS smashed it beyond repair.
I sold it last week, on Ebay, for $29.00.
You can never really go back.

Remember the straws with flavoring in them, like strawberry? You just stuck them in a glass of milk and they would make it taste kinda like a milkshake.

Omg, the memories! Yes, Reddy Kilowatt - was on the recipe cards that came with the electric bill. Decent recipes, too.

Skydiv - fizzies, YES! Loved those things. Learned decades later they were yanked cuz some kids had tried to eat 'em dry with horrible results (don't know how true it was, but it was "a" reason)

and R2de - Bill Bixby with the kid - Courtship of Eddy's Father

NO one has mentioned the Phil Silvers show! I can't bring myself to see the Steve Martin version of Sgt Bilko; to my mind, there was only ever ONE Sgt Bilko!

TV shows:
Capt Kangaroo - before he lost weight!
Playhouse 90
Twilight Zone (the original)
Outer Limits (ditto)
Time Tunnel
Penelope Pitstop
Yogi Bear and Booboo
Rocky and Bullwinkle!
Maya (had Jay North and Sajid Khan in it - Maya the elephant was the "star")
Mr Ed
Sid Caeser (sp)
McHales Navy
Hogan's Heroes - "Klink's" brother was an orchestra conductor I believe (Klemperer??)
George Gobel, Gary Moore, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Dinah Shore, Red Skelton - all variety shows.
ALL shows were in B & W. In 1981 we rented a color tv to see Wizard of Oz in color... I was furious that it wasn't in color! (until they got to Oz, that is - felt kinda silly then)

Oh! Does ANYONE remember the fluoroscopes they used to have in the shoe stores? My mom had my feet on that thing every other whipstitch, just to "make sure" the shoes fit. Those disappeared overnight. (yikes)

Eating what was on your plate because that's what was for dinner... And, dad said so! lol
Not going outside to play until the chores were done - mom said so!

Wimpy's hamburgers
King's Food Host (tuna frenchees, yum!)

wow.

Bob Hope singing "Thanks for the Memories..." on the USO shows

awesome thread - ty to whoever started it. :)

Nan

Man, every time I'd think of something that wasn't posted, I'd see it in the next post. But here are a few I didn't see

Quick Draw McGraw
Huckleberry Hound
Rin Tin Tin
Kung Fu
Amos and Andy
The Jack Benny Show
Lucy
F-Troop
Rifleman
The Big Valley
The Beverly Hillbillies
Mary Jane candy