Bottle dump finds...

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
While visiting with my in-laws last week in Michigan, my father-in-law showed me a bunch of old bottles that he had found in a small creek in town where some construction was being done.

I don't know what's considered rare or valuable in the bottle collecting world, so I thought I'd throw up all the pictures here to see if anyone can identify anything of real interest.

Sorry for so many pictures, but I tried to take several of each bottle, including the bottom, so that identification would be easier.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Your Porters Pain King bottle ....The Rundle Medicine Company. In 1886. George H. Rundle came here from Fletcher and organized the Rundle Medicine company for the manufacture of Porter's Pain Cure, a patent medicine of which he had bought the formula for a small sum. The original offices of the company and place for compounding the medicine were on North Main street. Porter's Pain King became a household name to conjure pain away. It was kept on many farmers' shelves and administered by the housewife for all pains and aches. Millions of bottles have been sold and the business grew to such proportions as to justify a handsome new structure in the residence part of the city, on Caldwell street. True to his promise, Mr. Rundle designed a handsome building of pressed brick in keeping with the location that did not detract from the residential neighborhood. This structure is of pressed brick, two stories, with mezzanine floor, set well back from the street with lawn and shrubbery. Offices occupy the front of the first sory and the factory space is 70 by 70 feet.

Porter's Pain King is also made at Windsor, Canada, by The George H. Rundle and Son Company, Ltd., for Canadian use and this plant is managed by George Klosterman, sent from here to Windsor. George H. Rundle was president of the company from its inception until his death, December 28, 1917, when his only son, Allen D. Rundle, became president, and Logan Frazier, secretary. Allen D. Hance was general manager for a number of years, until he severed his connection with the company on account of his new interests as an official of the Imperial Underwear company.

At the time of his death Mr. George H. Rundle was not only president of The Rundle company, but had the honor of being president of the Y. M. C. A., was a member of the Memorial Hospital Board, president of The Piqua National bank, City treasurer and vice-president of The Imperial Underwear company. He was also for many years a trustee of the Presbyterian church.

Looks to me like those, for the most part, are at earliest 1920's to '30's era bottles. The only exception I see is maybe that Jaynes Expectorant bottle, but I can't tell how high the seam runs on the neck.

Anytime you see the "Federal Law prohibits" line, thats a Post-Prohibition gaurantee.

All that doesnt mean that if you get DEEP in that pile, that you may get into a nice mess of older bottles, just watch for bottles with seams that are crude, or only extend partially up the neck of the bottle.

There are many bottle sites on the web, but if you want exact information, try the guys over at http://www.antique-bottles.net, they're super knowledgable about glass :thumbsup:

Good luck on further bottle finds to you and your father-in-law!!

The oldest bottle you have is the first bottle the teal green one with P.D.& Co. on the bottom. P.D. & Co. stands for Parke - Davis Company. Samuel Duffield was the man who started the pharmacy in1862. In 1867 he took on Mr. Parke as a business partner and shortly after Mr. Davis too. In 1869 Duffield went his own way and Parke - Davis Company was born. In 1875 they started selling an extract made of coca leaves and from that product they made their first profit by the next year an continued to grow from there. Mr. Duffield had pharmacy bottles made with his last name on them. Your bottle is very similar to the Duffield bottle and it looks like it's close to the same color as the Duffield bottle that I have. I think that the age of your bottle is between 1875 to 1885. I would love to find one like that. Thanks for the pictures and by the way I found a Berry Brothers cap that go's on a varnish can like that. It was cool to see a picture of it. Nice finds and I hope this helps.

Wolverine.

I would be in that creek with a potato fork (cultivator) all summer. You have a mix of ages there, as has already been pointed out, but the site is certainly worth more searching.

The Jayne's bottle was made for a long time -- the earliest are pontil-scarred, the latest smooth-based. This one is fairly late.
drdjaynesexpectorant.jpg

[size=14pt]The green long-necked bottle is a post-prohibition liqueur bottle. P. Bardinet is a very large distiller in Bordeaux, France. I am aware of that distiller because I have an earlier, hand-finished bottle from Bardinet.

orangefiguralPBardinetBordeaux.jpg

No doubt, this orange figural bottle contained an orange-flavored liqueur such as curacao.

That salt shaker is interesting, perhaps as old as anything in the group of bottles.

Amazing bottles, that one in your hand with the lady on it almost looks like a salt & or pepper shaker!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back