"Documented Proof: The 30 Million Dollar Beale Treasure Is a Hoax" by Tom Kenny

We all seem to approach research from our own point of view,then follow to where it leads.
Exactly. And, most people aren't going to bother researching subjects they personally have no interest in or have little motivation for doing so. And even if they do, it's going to be pretty limited research at best. Deep research requires a lot of time and it's hard work, hard to justify without any real motivation for doing so.

Exactly. And, most people aren't going to bother researching subjects they personally have no interest in or have little motivation for doing so. And even if they do, it's going to be pretty limited research at best. Deep research requires a lot of time and it's hard work, hard to justify without any real motivation for doing so.

MEANWHILE...?

Copywriters use to end their piece with:

----- 20 ----

Linotype operators with:

etaoin shrudlu

Legend fanciers with:

It's there I tell you ! ! !

Reb

A legend that begins with an unbelievable dime store novel has shed it's respectability as far as I
am concerned. I have not heard of a logical source of wealth of that magnitude other than fanciful
theories. The code means nothing unless there was actually a huge gold/silver/diamond treasure
to begin with. It could not have come from Colorado so where did it? And who with a king's ransom
would put it in the ground and leave it there?

The Bedford Chamber of Commerce has not endorsed this post.

Reb

A legend that begins with an unbelievable dime store novel has shed it's respectability as far as I
am concerned. I have not heard of a logical source of wealth of that magnitude other than fanciful
theories. The code means nothing unless there was actually a huge gold/silver/diamond treasure
to begin with. It could not have come from Colorado so where did it? And who with a king's ransom

LOL! Confederate Treasure Coverup or just "google" CONFEDERATE TREASURE COVERUP:
Duty, Honor, & Deceit.

Last edited:
So the treasure is not diamonds purchased in St Louis? Not mined native gold and silver by natives?

"So for the most part the sharing of info in these forums is really quite pointless, and I don't mean this in a condescending manner, I just feel it is an obvious reality."

Happily, I don't agree with you about that. After all, this is the Internet, and people post for a wide variety of reasons. Some folks show off. Some mock and (in my opinion) fail to move the conversation along.

But many are here to learn and to share. And I've had a number of very interesting conversations with them. Unfortunately, at times the posters in the first two categories drive off those in the third.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Rebel-KCG:

The American Civil War is remarkably well-documented. There are several reliable books on the end of the Confederacy that explain where the CSA treasury went (and, at the same time, where it didn't go).

One of them is: An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government
by William Davis (2001).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Rebel-KCG:

The American Civil War is remarkably well-documented. There are several reliable books on the end of the Confederacy that explain where the CSA treasury went (and, at the same time, where it didn't go).

One of them is: An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government
by William Davis (2001).

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Tell us what it sezs, then... inquiring minds wanna KNOW!

Well that explains the Richmond food riots,inflation on the price of goods, and the supply shortages the Confederate faced.Jeff Davis and company were too busy hiding the South's wealth to be able to provide for the troops or the welfare of its civilians.
...and not to forget,the 14th Amendment,Section 4,where it is stated that the U S government was not responsible for the debts incurred by the CSA.Reckon Jeff didn't pay any of the bills incurred,either.

Last edited:
Reb

“A credible source of the wealth.” There is only one, and it's even a fairly well documented source. But in order to uncover the source you have to go all the way back to 1814/15, to the many events leading up to Napoleon’s capture and the many events to follow. In 1862,63,64 these people were still in Richmond and they were still actively seeking this fortune during this period. There is good reason a third party (such as Morriss) was introduced and it is this same reason that caused these people to still be looking for what they believed still existed in 62,63,64, and it is this same reason that eventually fueled the publication of the Pamphlet in 1885. Tossing all else aside, if you really want to understand what the Beale Papers were all about you can start the long journey with two statements, the first being the claim that in 1821 Laffite recommended that the gold be distributed as promised, and the second being the unknown author's claim that in 1862 he had important business in Richmond. Both of these statements directly connect to the story/events in the Beale Pamphlet.

franklin:

Those are some gaudy numbers, indeed! Where did the CSA obtain that wealth? There was some money (bullion and specie) in US Mints located in the South in the Spring of 1861. Various banks had some - and there was private wealth (although I believe many "rich" planters were deeply in debt to domestic and foreign creditors).

With all due respect, the figures I've seen are quite different:

DECEMBER 6, 1864.

Fellow- Citizens of the Senate and House of Representatives:
Again the blessings of health and abundant harvests claim our proyear, over and above all losses by shipwreck or in battle, of 83 vessels, 167 guns, and 42,427 tons.

The total number of men at this time in the naval service, including officers, is about 51,000.
There have been captured by the Navy during the year 324 vessels and the whole number of naval captures since hostilities commenced is 1,379, of which 267 are steamers.
[Pro?]foundest gratitude to Almighty God.

The receipts during the year, from all sources, upon the basis of
warrants signed by the Secretary of the Treasury, including loans
and the balance in the Treasury on the 1st day of July, 1863, were
$1,394,796,007.62, arid the aggregate disbursements, upon the same
basis, were $1,298,056,101.89, leaving a balance in the Treasury, as
shown by warrants, of $96,739,905.73.

Deduct from these amounts the amount of the principal of the
public debt redeemed, and the amount of issues in substitution there-
for, and the actual cash operations of the Treasury were: Receipts
$884,076,646.57; disbursements, $865,234,087.86; which leaves a cash
balance in the Treasury of $18,842,558.71.

Of the receipts, there were derived from customs $102,316,152.99;
from lands, $588,333.29; from direct taxes, $475,648.96; from internal
revenue, $109,741,134.10; from miscellaneous sources, $47, 511,448.10;
and from loans applied to actual expenditures, including former
balance, $623,443,929.13.

There were disbursed for the civil service, $27,505,599.46; for pensions
and Indians, $7,517,930.97; for the War Department, $690,791,842.97;
for the Navy Department, $85,733,292.77; for interest on the public
debt, $53,685,421.69; making an aggregate of $865,234,087.86, and
leaving a balance in the Treasury of $18,842,558.71, as before stated.

...The public debt on the 1st day of July last, as appears by the books
of the Treasury, amounted to $1,740,690,489.49.

p975 Series 3 - Volume 4

Financing The Confederacy | Page 2 | American Civil War Forums

Confederate Secretary of the Treasury Christopher G. Memminger assumed his duties in February 1861 by floating government loans and creating an instant national debt. In 1861 the Confederacy sold bonds worth $150 million in the so-called Bankers Loan, which secured much-needed specie. The government also tapped agricultural staples through the Produce Loan, in which planters pledged their produce in exchange for government paper. Against the receipts of these loans, Memminger issued Treasury notes, circulating paper money with which the government paid its bills. In August, 1861 the Confederate Congress passed a War Tax on various kinds of property to increase government resources. Unfortunately Memminger's department was inefficient in collecting the produce subscribed to the Produce Loan, and he allowed taxes to be paid in inflated state currency. Consequently government paper money fed inflation, which served as an inverse tax on Confederate citizens.

By 1863 Memminger realized that inflation was threatening the government's ability to support itself and the war. Accordingly he proposed and Congress passed a graduated Income Tax and a 10% Tax In Kind on agricultural products. In March, 1863 the Confederacy accepted a $15 million loan from the French banking house of Emile Erlanger that yielded much less than its face value (about $8.5 million), but given the tenuous nature of Southern nationhood, the Confederates made the best deal possible. Still, Memminger's printing presses moved faster than the government could collect revenue, and inflation accelerated. In desperation, in 1864 Memminger imposed a Compulsory Funding Measure, which devalued those Treasury notes not exchanged for noncirculating government bonds. This failed too, as Confederates continued to exchange government paper for goods and services.

In July 1864 Jefferson Davis replaced Memminger with another South Carolinian, George A. Trenholm, but there was little Trenholm could do. The Confederacy never had more than $27 million of specie. The national debt ran over $700 million and the overall inflation was about 6,000%. That the Confederacy persisted as long as it did amid this financial chaos was a wonder.

The Confederacy lost their opportunity at financing the war, by the loss of the lower Mississippi and New Orleans in early 1862, stopping any opportunity to export much cotton.
The Confederacy could never compete against the debt structure of the Union.

Source: "Historical Times History of the Civil War"

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

franklin:

I am not and was not the Treasurer of the Confederate States of America.

If you have different numbers...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back