Three years' worth of detecting finds in one thread... enjoy.

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted here in an unbelievable amount of time. Since the last time I've posted, I attended three years of law school, and moved to two different cities that featured some crazy history. Trust me, it's been insane. I have found an unbelievable amount of silver, relics, and coins that I want to update everyone on, so I figured I would start this thread by featuring some of my top finds from the past three years that I've been away from this site. Luckily, I keep track of all my digs, all my sites on a Word document for safe keeping, so I can provide exact details as needed for each incredible find. Enjoy.

7/15/2022 - Private Permission - Spokane, WA

I did my daily drive to the law school for my summer classes on this particular day, and noticed a new sign I was not used to seeing. It was one of those "petition for use, invitation for public comment" signs for properties seeking a new building permit, etc. The house in question was a 1915 built house next to an old park in Spokane, so I was immediately intrigued.

I did my research and found the application, which included the phone number of the owner. I don't typically do well with phone calls (most end in "how did you find this number? No you can't dig!") but this one, the owner gave his okay and said have fun. So I did.

The property itself gave up two mercs, a barber dime, and several wheats. so all around, a great day. But this was my prized find. It rang as a 25-26 on the Nox, and I was astonished when I did the research. Out of the ground appeared an old pin.

KFOA was one of the very first radio stations in Seattle - it was established in 1922 and operated out of the top floor of the Rhodes Department Store (later Nordstrom's) from 1924 until 1928, meaning this pin dated to between 1924 and 1928. I couldn't find any information regarding the "Big Brother Club," but from historical articles, KFOA was heavily involved in the community and hosted several key events in local media history. As far as I've searched, this is a one of a kind find that I have not seen anywhere else on the internet, meaning it's an incredibly rare find for Seattle's history.

Any info is appreciated, simply cite post #1. Cheers!

Attachments

• tempImageLvaGlZ.png
    tempImageLvaGlZ.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 4
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/4/24 - ******* Park, *******, WA

I blur the name here because this park has proven so bountiful to many people, and I currently am riding a five hunt silver streak at this "hunted out" park. Anyways...

This evening was no different than most - it was a cold January day, and I was out at the same park I've hit so many times. This park is much more fun to hit at night - if you hit it in the daylight, you are likely to be bothered by kids who are more interested in the worms you find than the old coins.

I was gliding the Nox upon an area that was well hunted - most areas of this park were "well hunted" - and I came across a soft 33-34. I was in 4kHz, meaning this could be dang near anything from aluminum to a pull tab to a silver coin. So I flipped to multi, where I heard the same signal. This was not uncharacteristic for nails, as there were a lot of those in this park, but this signal was fainter.

I dug down, and BOOM, out pops this gorgeous beauty on edge at around 9 inches. I had heard of a couple others pulling SLQ's out of this park, but I never imagined I would join this club years later. What a rush.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #2" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.52.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 1.52.15 AM.png
    689.8 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
12/20/23 - Private Permission - Seattle, WA

I got permission to this 1890s house south of Seattle - turns out there was quite a bit of history attached to it. I canvassed the yard for some time, finding modern coins, modern toys, and general junk. Finally, I struck a wheat penny, and then BOOM - I struck a barber dime. Something that at least indicated the age of this spot.

After a couple hours I finally had hit most of the yard, so I went back over a second time. This signal was right next to the walkway, and was super jumpy. After 5 minutes of digging, I pulled out this gorgeous token.

The token is to a local store, located in Georgetown, WA. Now, anyone from Seattle will tell you "Georgetown isn't a town - it's a neighbourhood!" and they're right! Georgetown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Seattle, but for a period of about twenty years (1890-1910ish), it was actually its own town, complete with its own post office, its own town hall, and its own commerce.

Kegley's Bee Hive Store was a popular spot in Georgetown - given that the token indicates its source as a time which Georgetown was an actual town, this token likely pre-dates 1910, and serves as an amazing piece of early Seattle history.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #3" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.01.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.01.29 AM.png
    867.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.02.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 2.02.27 AM.png
    926.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4/27/2024 - Picnic Point Park - Mukilteo, WA

This was a crazy find since this park has been hit multiple times by a variety of folks. I met up with a buddy and detected on the beach at low tide. We found what appeared to be a hot spot, as we were pulling 60s and 70s coins, indicating that it may have been less pounded over the years by other detectorists. I popped a crisp 11 on the Nox, and pulled out a glass piece of a bottle. Hmm, that couldn't be it...

So I went back over with my pinpointer and BOOM, I notice that shine. I've seen it only twice before, but alas, out pops a beautiful 14k gold ring with diamonds. Heck of a find to say the least.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #4" in your reply - thanks!
tempImageximWH1.png

OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
4/7/2021 - Private Permission - Walla Walla, WA

I happened upon a private permission that was a historic home in a historic town. This particular house was unique as the yard appeared to be redone. This feeling was confirmed as I pulled not one old coin from the lawn, and was utterly disappointed. After giving up on the yard, I moved to the sidewalk strip. On the north strip, there was nothing of note except a couple modern coins, but on the west strip (it was a corner lot), I had one of my best all time hunts. I popped a barber, 2 mercs, 2 v nickels, a buffalo, and a crushed silver ring. The fact that I have as many old nickels and dimes as I did wheats was the biggest shocker of all. Hell of a hunt.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #5" in your reply - thanks!

tempImageo8v6YI.png

OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3/5/2021 - Private Permission - Walla Walla, WA

I received permission to hunt my neighbour's 1885 house. Pretty typical hunt with a couple wheats, tax tokens, and even an IHP. But what I didn't expect was to find my oldest ever coin. This 1807 British Halfpenny predates the town by almost 50 years. It actually was in the same hole as a large 1919 British Penny, making me think someone may have traveled overseas and purchased it as a cool souvenir.

Either way, I love this coin.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #6" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• tempImageRsPcVI.png
    tempImageRsPcVI.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • tempImageIywr6v.png
    tempImageIywr6v.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
OP
OP
NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick

Jan 8, 2015
Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7/5/2021 - Private Permission - Seattle, WA

Linked up with Brandon for a downtown hunt. Did some strips and eventually talked to a couple on a corner lot with a 1910 house and yard. Apparently they'd lost some gold earrings in the yard many years ago and wondered if we could try and find it. We agreed to look for it, but had no luck. We did find several other odds and ends, though, like wheats and IHP's.

The coolest thing by far was a token for a local dairy spot. I found a record of the Clover Leaf Dairy in the 1905 Seattle Directory that I own, and also in a 1913 advertisement, but it appears to have closed down in the late 1910s. Very interesting piece of early Seattle history.

After thanking the owners, we moved to the sidewalk strips. I got a deep high tone (normally a nail) and dug it on a whim. And thank goodness I did - out popped a beautiful 1917 SLQ. Definitely an all-time hunt.

Note: If you want to comment about this post, please quote "Post #7" in your reply - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1973.PNG
    IMG_1973.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.34.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.34.30 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.34.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 2.34.43 PM.png
    927.1 KB · Views: 4

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wow that 1917 SLQ is killer! The gold ring with all the ice is probably a better find than any I've managed, very nice!
Congratulations on all the keepers and thanks for taking the time to share.
May the next three years of wonderful swinging and digging produce just as much if not more.......TREASURE

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds thanks for sharing with us

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions