Piece of Bahamian 8!! Pirate pillar dollar !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh...where to start ?
Ok...here we go. ....I work on a fishing boat, and every year we go to the Bahamas blue marlin fishing....I travel all over the islands as a fishing mate on a beautiful 55 foot sport fish !! So when im not fishing im swinging the detector on some of the most remote beaches on the planet. So much maritime history has been ground up on the rocky shorelines, and deserted beaches that it blows ones mind. This year I got out about 6-8 times on 2 separate islands....I have great permissions here and grew up part time in the bahamas, and part time in the fl.keys, so know some history and have a few spots worked out pretty good. This year was no different and I managed a badly beaten but still cool 8 reale....I believe it's a pillars and globes, Mexican mint ?76?....1766...was my guess. There was also a beautiful floral pattern gold gilt button, and an awsome commerative medal from the "British empire exhibition" 1924....a real gem of a collector piece ! Some of these finds come from a shipwreck camp, and stories of a solid gold baby spoon being found spured me to search for it....there was a nice chamber stick candle holder at the site, and I think I'm in the right spot !! A plated spoon, hinges of different types, black glass rum and onion bottle parts, a silver cameo ring, small cuff button with stone, British/bahamian copper pennies and half pennies, ships spikes, and lead sheathing with bronze nails, etc.etc.etc!! Let me post some pics, and I'll try and edit some there's alot to show and tell !! And the fishing was great too !! Wooo hooo !!
20230518_182858.jpg
20230518_182910.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Exhibition fascinating reading !!
20230527_185454.jpg

Rough shape, but cool as sh.t !! 176? Something spanish pillars and globes 8 reale, piece of eight, pillar dollar, etc.etc.etc
My pirate pillar dollar.....no reasonable explanation as to why, and how these coins got on this remote bahamian beach !!
20230527_185534.jpg
20230517_081217.jpg

Pirate captains gold gilt jacket button !!
20230526_173111.jpg

Cuff button with paste stone...pirate button 🤣😂☠️
20230517_074306.jpg
20230528_093205.jpg
20230528_083923.jpg

Chamber stick, decorative hinge,lead sheathing with copper nails still intact, spike.
20230512_171422.jpg
20230512_171525.jpg
20230518_212807.jpg
20230512_171444.jpg
I'll post more pics on the next post.

Last edited:
Upvote 44
I always start to drool looking through your threads!! Congrats on another great set of finds. Love that "eclectic" brass candle stick.

That seems to almost be the definition of a pirate cache. Accumulations of coins from so many different vessels/nations before going down for the count themselves.

Pirate plunder!!!!

I was wondering about the extraction process in that porous rocky terrain. Scoops are almost useless, aren't they? I figured there had to be more than one piece that would have been wedged in tight.

The piece that really grabbed my attention was the hinge. I was hoping it might be like the one in this link.
Ive convinced myself to go back on my freetime cliff !! I've never really spent any amount of good time at the spot. I would like to spend a few full tide cycles at this spot hunting it slowly with no time constraints. I've always had to be somewhere for work related type things, and have always had to quickly scan the area because of my schedule. It's taken enormous help from my bahamian friends who have been gracious enough to transport, and basically put me on the spot as incredible hosts and great treasure hunters !! Im lucky enough to be able to get to some very far out exotic locations with my fishing/yachting job....and that's been key in my treasurehunting. The other main thing is reading the beach, and this beach has it all....Deep sand, rocky tide pools, and the dust over crust that I love so much. The rocky tide pools are moon type rock like Swiss cheese with every hole packed with shell,pebbles, sand, ...... and ...sometimes coins !! Screw driver, Hatchet, and small spade...are some good tools, and the good old spade for Sandy areas also.

I like digging where sand meets rock.....4-5 feet up in the sand, and 4-5 feet down in the rocks !! This is where the surf acts like a wash plant and the heavies are filtered and trapped. I want to go back in August, and "live at the spot" so to speak.....really put some time, thought, and effort into this spot !! Its a dreamer !!
20230604_174553.jpg

3hunts in 3 years a couple hours at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back