Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I arrived at the beach it was 6am, still very dark and the gibbous moon was low on the horizon. I was packing my Equinox 800 with the WM08 wireless modual and T Rex scoop with carbon fiber handle. I started my hunt as soon as I left the parking lot; the beach was quiet, almost TOO quiet. Must have been hunted out recently, I said to myself. I worked my way to the water; first time in the water and only second time hunting this year because of Covid. For the first hr or so in the water all I had found was a single quarter. Some winter hunts are like that; little change and nothing else. But I was really enjoying the early morning at the beach. I was about 1 hr into my 5 hr water hunt in 2 ft of water with low tide when I got a scratchy but strong signal at 15-16 using Beach 2 with usual settings. Several bottle caps or pull tabs I thought, but I was happy to get a signal any signal to dig. The first sand scoop came up empty. So I thrust the scoop deeper and before I knew it I was starring at the bottom of my scoop with a hugh chain at the bottom. Can’t be real, I said to myself, as I pulled the chain from the scoop. Thing is heavy. Last year I found a gold colored dog chain and this chain fit the bill. It was just getting light by this time and I strained to make-out the lettering on the clasp – 14K I soon realized it read. Dang thing must be 2 ozs! I can’t believe it…

The rest of the hunt was uneventful; about 15 coins and not much else. When I got home I showed the chain to my wife, who did not express an interest in keeping it [praise the lord!]. When I placed it on the wife’s food scale and saw the weight I didn’t believe the scale. I kept changing the settings looking for what I thought was the “correct” weight of around 2 oz. After looking at pounds (0.386), ounces (6.17) and grams (174.5), I realized that the actual weight was 6.17 ounces!!! Holy Toledo. Checking the gold spot ($1795), that 14k chain is worth a cool SIX GRAND and change. Guess I paid for my detector, again. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    Weight GOLD Chain.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 680
  • GOLD Chain.jpg
    GOLD Chain.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 677
Upvote 55

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong, I thought that chain was the real deal...thanks for letting us know...still a really cool find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread