Ideas to practice metal detecting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome Kali.... :hello:

Is there a detecting club in your area? That would be a great place for you to get started.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start in your own yard.....relatives and friends property, local parks, schools, etc....Just look online to see if there any restrictions to any public sites you want to detect. The rules and regulations are in writing somewhere.....usually the city or county courthouse. Some are available online, or, just go there and look it up yourself in the files. Asking someone will likely get more of their opinion than what the actual law is, and might bring what you're planning on doing to their attention. Not something you want, believe me. Better to be out of sight and mind as most of the rules regarding public places are very vague and subject to interpretation. Learn correct recovery methods so you leave no trace of being there.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to beaches, city parks and county parks or ask permission of private home owners. You don't say where you are, some county's require a permit, but they are free, use goggle to see what your count requires.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am struggling with ideas on areas that I can go in Florida to practice using my metal detector without breaking the law. So I wanted to ask you all where are some of your favorite places to look for treasure ( other than the beach).
The beaches are pretty easy to detect on.
Remove everything you dig, fill in the holes.
If land locked the other replies are spot on.
Learn the proper way of digging a plug.
It's hard sometimes dry sandy soils to get a neat looking plug.
Practice is the key.

Welcome to the forum, hope that you'll post up your recoveries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread