🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any Idea of What this Might Be?

TDiver1715

Greenie
Jul 23, 2010
GA & FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse, CTX3030, Manticore
& Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found by my nephew detecting near Helena, MT last week. It appears to be lead or pewter, but he believes it to be lead for the weight.

My first thought is that it appears to be Japanese (with the rising sun) and possibly a lapel pin. It appears the lower portion was broken away. He also found a 1944D Lincoln Cent and 1888 V Nickel in the same area.

This is all I/we know about it at present. If anyone has any idea, it would be great to learn what it is.

Thanks for any info!

UPDATE 05/02/24 @ 19:43 EST
Based on the info from the two replies below identifying the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, I was able to do some research down that path this afternoon. I did find two graphics (copyright protected so I cannot post them) that illustrated the British and Japanese military aspect of the alliance (1910+), which now validates the two military flags imposed over the Japanese rising sun. That being said, this indicates it should be a Japanese created souvenir/item of the alliance. I will continue to keep a lookout for an exact find and validation. Again, My thanks for the input!

Attachments

• 4336.jpeg
    4336.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 4541.jpeg
    4541.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 53
  • 4543.jpeg
    4543.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what it is, but I would guess it relates to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance that lasted from 1902 – 1922. Numerous ‘propaganda’ items were produced in both countries touting a new era of friendship between the two countries. This kind of thing:

Alliance.jpg

Note that Items produced in Japan typically have their flag to the left and stronger national imagery... and vice-versa for items produced in Britain.

In reality, both countries had ulterior political motives. Britain’s goals were to prevent Russia from expanding in Manchuria and preserving the territorial integrity of China and Korea, as well as allowing it to release more of its naval assets for the protection of India and home territory in the light of the Anglo-German naval arms race. For Japan, it was a matter of gaining international prestige and they used the alliance as a foundation for their diplomacy until it was replaced by the ‘Four-Power Treaty’ in 1922.

Upvote 12
OP
OP
TDiver1715

TDiver1715

Greenie
Jul 23, 2010
GA & FL
Detector(s) used
& Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what it is, but I would guess it relates to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance that lasted from 1902 – 1922. Numerous ‘propaganda’ items were produced in both countries touting a new era of friendship between the two countries. This kind of thing:

View attachment 2146455

Note that Items produced in Japan typically have their flag to the left and stronger national imagery... and vice-versa for items produced in Britain.

In reality, both countries had ulterior political motives. Britain’s goals were to prevent Russia from expanding in Manchuria and preserving the territorial integrity of China and Korea, as well as allowing it to release more of its naval assets for the protection of India and home territory in the light of the Anglo-German naval arms race. For Japan, it was a matter of gaining international prestige and they used the alliance as a foundation for their diplomacy until it was replaced by the ‘Four-Power Treaty’ in 1922.
Thank you for your reply and information! I understand the Anglo-Japanese Alliance and the nations involved. I will admit I have not yet conducted much research, but I did live in Japan for several years and from what I remember, the Japanese "Sun with Rays" flag has been a military and "war" flag since about 1870, whereas the flag without rays (in your photo) is the normal flag. For this reason, the rays puzzle me a bit; at least until I learn more. Again, thank you for your time and info! I will keep researching.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
TDiver1715

TDiver1715

Greenie
Jul 23, 2010
GA & FL
Detector(s) used
& Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a souvenir from the Japan Britain Exhibition of 1910.

If I HAD to guess I would say it's the top of a spoon handle. But that's just a guess...

japan-british-color001.jpg
Thank you! I appreciate your reply and thoughts. I definitely see a trend with the alliance & exhibition of the time. Hopefully I can find a positive ID at some point and will post if & when I do.

Upvote 1

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You make a valid point about the Japanese "war flag".

I did a little more poking around and found a few items from the exhibition that used the Japanese war flag along with the British flag.

JapanBritexposter.png
499077-L.jpg

It may have simply been for artistic purposes. The eye is drawn to the similarities of the flags.
(It is interesting to note the olive branch - or is it laurel - is placed on the war flag on the picture post card.)

I did consider that Japan was emerging as a world military power in the very early 20th C. and maybe the war flag used for political reasons. But that seems like a bit of a stretch. I'll stick with the artistic explanation...

Or your piece could be related to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance as suggested by Red-Coat. That would make the use of the war flag more appropriate.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
TDiver1715

TDiver1715

Greenie
Jul 23, 2010
GA & FL
Detector(s) used
& Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make a valid point about the Japanese "war flag".

I did a little more poking around and found a few items from the exhibition that used the Japanese war flag along with the British flag.

JapanBritexposter.png
499077-L.jpg

It may have simply been for artistic purposes. The eye is drawn to the similarities of the flags.
(It is interesting to note the olive branch - or is it laurel - is placed on the war flag on the picture post card.)

I did consider that Japan was emerging as a world military power in the very early 20th C. and maybe the war flag used for political reasons. But that seems like a bit of a stretch. I'll stick with the artistic explanation...

Or your piece could be related to the Anglo-Japanese Alliance as suggested by Red-Coat. That would make the use of the war flag more appropriate.
Thank you for your reply and the information! One "antique" item I found that was copyright protected was what appeared to be a period print showing a British soldier with flag facing a Japanese soldier with (military) flag. Don't quote me, but I think it was dated 1910 or close. I feel comfortable the purpose has been identified, but still hope to make a 100% positive "ID" at some point. We'll see! Again, thanks for your input!

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread