cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New? Used? What sort of detecting are you going to do? Land? Water? Salt water? Relics? Gold nuggets? Since you look to have one already, you know the answer to most of these questions already. For others, generally, the Etrac is older technology compared with say an Equinox, Manticore, Deus 2, Legend, etc. That doesn't mean that it won't work just as well under certain conditions. It's a lot heavier than the new machines, so, sometimes a sling in desired to swing one for any length of time. The processor in an Etrac is slower than the newer machines, so, target separation is harder to attain. It's also not waterproof. I do like the Etrac's dual I.D. numbers however. If find it easier to tell junk from good targets. It's also still one of the best machines for deep silver too. That said, mine mostly collects dust since I got the Equinox and Deus 2.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wondering if it worth it. Is it old technology compared to today's detectors. Thanks in advance
I had a hard time getting rid of all my "FBS" Machines glad i did tho ..at least now...if you get a good deal on one ..why not ..
If you hunt clean ground like alot of farm fields...... but in modern garbage and heavy iron cellars I'd take the new tec hands down
They are HEAVY ..and slow compared to new machines ..
But in farm fields I wouldn't hesitate to use one if not for the weight

Bayard

Oct 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1 probe, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned an Equinox since February 2018. I rarely use it compared to my Etracs. The Etrac is better at finding deep silver coins than the Equinox. I use the Equinox as a specialty machine for finding masked coins and for heavily mineralized sites. Otherwise, I prefer the Etrac's better target ID and more precise depth meter.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day I only had one machine, a CZ-20 that allowed me hunt both land and water. Today, "if" I were only interested in deep silver "in my neck of the woods" I'd buy a used CZ-20, figure out how to put a meter on it, and that would be my deep silver machine, hands down the deepest silver machine I've ever used. And, the faster you swung the coil the deeper that machine would hit on deep silver. It was also easy to separate targets with it. So like Cuda suggested, it all depends on what you're hunting for and where you're hunting. Sometimes those older machines can really shine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread