Excalibur II battery or other issue - any thoughts

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Excal battery is one year old. I had it fully charged per my intelligent charger. Went out for about two hours. No issues. Went out two days later for 2 hours. No issues. Turned it on again later during that second day and nothing happened. Didn't think to put a multimeter on it and charged it up per my intelligent charger. After charging I put a multimeter on it and it read 13.70 volts. Went out today for 45 minutes and there were no issues. Turned it on again later in the day and nothing happened. Just put the voltmeter on it and it read 13.38. Anyone run into this or have any thoughts of what may be happening? Thank you for any comment..

• Wow
Reactions: OBN
I don't know that machine, but all my machines I've ever had have had some sort of battery charge indicator. As a rule of thumb, I recharge mine after every trip. Never had one go pffft that way.

Thank you. I have a charger with indicator and have been charging similarly. At first I thought a battery issue, now I'm thinking possibly the on/threshold switch..

Thank you. I have a charger with indicator and have been charging similarly. At first I thought a battery issue, now I'm thinking possibly the on/threshold switch..

Check your charger adapter, make sure the gap in the pin halves are the same at tip as at bottom. Check the voltage on the 2 charging pins before plugging it in, it should be at least close to 13.5 volts min, wiggle it to be sure it is making good contact. Check the excal battery cable that plugs into the battery, make sure again there is same gap in the pin halves at the tip as at the base wiggle cable when plugged in to see if power cuts on and off..

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Great advice. Will do.

Check your charger adapter, make sure the gap in the pin halves are the same at tip as at bottom. Check the voltage on the 2 charging pins before plugging it , it should be at least 13.5 volts min, wiggle it to be sure it is making good contact. Check the excal battery cable that plugs into the battery, make sure again there is same gap in the pin halves at tip as at the base.
I was going to say check your connections very carefullt

I'm with TH, wiggle that cable. Excaliburs are famous for having issues with the connectors and specially the cable itself. The internal wires (Brown + and Blue - ) break, sometimes you can buy a little more time if you bend them and tie wrap a certain way where they connect but your taking a chance.

Post deleted, FYI, per our rules there must always be a charter member involved in a sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back