Found a big deposit! Finally.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For several years Iā€™ve prospected my area. Iā€™ve hit nearly every creek and river in 30 miles. Mostly gravel bars as Ohio gold tends to be pretty small. I traveled up a little creek a bit further than I had in the past. Tested a gravel bar just around a sharp corner and BANG! 40-50 specks. Pan after pan itā€™s holding strong. The largest chunky black sand, garnets and mixed iron stone and verityā€™s mjnerals Iā€™ve found to date.

After about 20 pans in and Iā€™ve found this deposit is about 200ā€™ long and as wide as 20ā€™. The real kicker, thereā€™s bedrock about 3-4ā€™ below this bar, I can see it exposed on the fast side of the river.

Freaking tickled fellers!

Iā€™ll try and post some decent pictures once I get to doing some real work.

Upvote 29

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately a wheel barrow wonā€™t be happening. Itā€™s a long walk through thick woods, several large logs to cross, two creeks with steep sides, tall weeds. Pushing a wheel barrow would be a nightmare.

I do appreciate your input. Large things in and out arenā€™t really a good option. At least not for a lone wolf. Next time Iā€™m out I plan to just dig a hole to bedrock. I canā€™t be to far off already. As youā€™d expect the gold seems to be getting a bit larger as I go further down. Fingers crossed a big hole pays off.
Yep the same problem here brush and logs etc.
Zip line?
Two creeks with steep sides a zip line would be very possible. Just saying.
Does not take to much to hold say a sixty to eighty pounds or so.

Getting down to bedrock will have to be dug by hand.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
That all depends on the ownership of said property and Ohio's laws ! Some people frown on a person coming onto their property and digging ! ALWAYS get the owner's permission ! Do your DUE DILIGENCE BEFORE the RED FLASHING LIGHTS come on or the owner shows up with a shot gun!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That all depends on the ownership of said property and Ohio's laws ! Some people frown on a person coming onto their property and digging ! ALWAYS get the owner's permission ! Do your DUE DILIGENCE BEFORE the RED FLASHING LIGHTS come on or the owner shows up with a shot gun!
Excellent point you make as no one wants to face a shot gun or worse.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Of course land status is a big deal.

The land the creek runs through is owned by a local collage. Itā€™s a pretty heavily trafficked area. Fishing, hunting, mushroom hunters and Iā€™ve seen holes from other prospectors.

Thankfully the area Iā€™ve found this deposit is way back off any beaten path and any holes I plan to dig will be easily enough filled in. Iā€™m not dragging a full scale operation down there.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hobby gold prospecting in Ohio is considered recreational and does not require a permit as long as the following conditions are met:

The gold collected is of little or no commercial value

The activity does not have adverse environmental impacts

The prospecting is not commercial in nature

The environmental impacts are minimal

Mechanized digging is not involved

The property owner gives written permission to prospect on private land

HOBBY PROSPECTING/PANNING FOR MINERALS

The ODNR Division of Mineral Resources Management regulates Ohio's industrial minerals surface mining operations under Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1514. For more information, see Laws and Regulations for Industrial Minerals Surface Mining and Reclamation.

Hobby prospecting activities in Ohio streams are considered ā€œexemptā€ from Ohio Surface Mine Laws (Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1514) as long as the following apply:

prospecting is recreational

prospecting is not commercial in nature

material collected is of little or no commercial value, and

the environmental impacts are diminimus (minor/insignificant)

Please be advised that if conditions change, the Division of Mineral Resources Management will revisit its decision to determine whether the exemption remains appropriate.

Hobby prospectors need to continue to be vigilant in adhering to

exemption guidelines as stated above, landowner rights, and

compliance with all other agencies that have jurisdiction over Ohioā€™s streams.

Even though hobby prospecting is not currently considered ā€œin-streamā€ mining, it does not relieve a person of the obligation of compliance with any other regulatory requirements such as those of the Army Corps of Engineers, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) or any other agency of jurisdiction, prior to the commencement of any prospecting.

https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-le...f Mineral,are diminimus (minor/insignificant)

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobby gold prospecting in Ohio is considered recreational and does not require a permit as long as the following conditions are met:

The gold collected is of little or no commercial value

The activity does not have adverse environmental impacts

The prospecting is not commercial in nature

The environmental impacts are minimal

Mechanized digging is not involved

The property owner gives written permission to prospect on private land

HOBBY PROSPECTING/PANNING FOR MINERALS

The ODNR Division of Mineral Resources Management regulates Ohio's industrial minerals surface mining operations under Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1514. For more information, see Laws and Regulations for Industrial Minerals Surface Mining and Reclamation.

Hobby prospecting activities in Ohio streams are considered ā€œexemptā€ from Ohio Surface Mine Laws (Ohio Revised Code Chapter 1514) as long as the following apply:

prospecting is recreational

prospecting is not commercial in nature

material collected is of little or no commercial value, and

the environmental impacts are diminimus (minor/insignificant)

Please be advised that if conditions change, the Division of Mineral Resources Management will revisit its decision to determine whether the exemption remains appropriate.

Hobby prospectors need to continue to be vigilant in adhering to

exemption guidelines as stated above, landowner rights, and

compliance with all other agencies that have jurisdiction over Ohioā€™s streams.

Even though hobby prospecting is not currently considered ā€œin-streamā€ mining, it does not relieve a person of the obligation of compliance with any other regulatory requirements such as those of the Army Corps of Engineers, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) or any other agency of jurisdiction, prior to the commencement of any prospecting.

https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-learn/safety-conservation/about-odnr/mineral-resources-management/about-the-division/hobby-prospecting-or-panning#:~:text=The ODNR Division of Mineral,are diminimus (minor/insignificant)

Thanks Assembler. Thatā€™s the guidelines Iā€™ve been following. Ohio waterways are open to fishing and such as long as itā€™s not posted. Over many years of being a river rat Iā€™ve never had any issues.

I wonā€™t be dragging a mining operation out there. I donā€™t expect Iā€™ll draw any attention to myself as long as Iā€™m respectful and keep things remediated as I work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread